Coach Background Information
D.O.B. – 3/12/1966
Date graduated as a coach – Grade A – June 2008
1st4Sport Level 2 Certificate in Snooker Coaching – August 2018
Details of Current Coaching Activities –
– Coaching Consultant to WPBSA
– Head of delivery for the Paul Hunter Foundation
– Specialising in coaching beginners, intermediates and players with disabilities, including special needs
Why did you get into Coaching-
I have followed snooker since I was 11 years old and grew up in the 80’s watching the likes of Alex Higgins, Cliff Thorburn, John Parrott, Terry Griffiths and of course Steve Davis. I’ve played at a reasonable club level and also progressed to refereeing at class 2 level.
For the majority of my working career I have been involved in training, developing training activities and programme’s for people of all ages and experience. I had an idea for an annual event to get kids of the streets back in 1995 which was hugely successful and drew the community together.
We had every top player in the game visit each year to support the local children of the area.
In 2005 we booked the Beckham of the baize Paul Hunter who at the time had just had his diagnosis of Cancer, the rest of this part of my journey is out there on the Paul Hunter Foundation website (add link) It was also through these events that I met Steve Davis through his invitation I met WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson and was invited to write the WPBSA Coaching Scheme with Steve, Terry Griffiths and Andrew Highfield with the objective initially being to develop coach’s in the field to grow the game at grass roots level.
During the 2017//18 season we updated the coaching programme in partnership with 1st4Sport qualifications who are the leading awarding body for sports qualifications across the UK.
Since 2010 I have been part of the WPBSA Coaching Team that’s developed over 500 coach’s within the game at grass roots level.
What do I offer for you as a pupil:
– Operating from home I have a top quality three quarter size, steel blocked table with a number 10 cloth and 1G balls.
– I am available off site at a venue suitable for both parties
– Lesson times – 1 hour or by arrangement
– Lesson content – you will receive an initial starting point assessment based on what you are looking to achieve from our time together, this will be documented for you to keep.
– Each lesson will be linked in line with your initial aspirations and documented for you to take away at the end of each lesson either hard copy or online.
– Video Analysis- During the lesson video analysis can be used as/where appropriate together with post lesson support
– Your coaching will be focused around the WPBSA blue print written by the game’s leading coach Terry Griffiths and we will use the WPBSA White to Black Training Programme to support and record your progress and improvement, this will also act as practice routines away from the lesson delivery.
I am City & Guilds qualified at level 4 to deliver impartial information advice and guidance to support the development of any specific training programmes you may require, together with mentoring in readiness for match or competition play.
There is a special relationship between Snooker Coach and pupil that is built on trust, honesty, a desire to learn and improve, an ability to listen, practice hard and most of all enjoy playing together this wonderful sport.
Phone 07970 679810